Thursday, December 9, 2010

Penguins AND a Day of Learning

Yesterday we were invited to Hartford Elementary School because they were having a "Penguin Holiday Lunch". Since the kitchen manager knew that Presley loves penguins, she called my mom to see if she would want to come to see all they had done. From the minute we walked in, there were penguins. It was so cute. Here are a few pictures of our girls with her favorite animals.

On a side note...you will notice that Presley is not smiling in most of the pictures. We have having a hard time with her when we go around a lot of people. She has become a little shy when there are too many people around talking to her that she does not know. Now, this DRIVES ME UP A WALL. She comes off rude and I despise this little attitude that she gets when people talk to her. I understand being shy, but we teach her that even if she doesn't know them, if they say something nice, she needs to be polite and use her manners.

SO, on the way home, I prayed and prayed asking God what I should do and how I should handle it. I wanted her to learn. So, the whole "This hurts me more then you" saying came to mind when I had to gather up all of her penguins and put them in my closet and tell her that because she chose to act that way, this was her consequence. It was hard. And she did keep saying "I am so sorry Mom". But, I feel as if I am not being a good mom if I allow her to act that way and do not be consistent in my disciplining.

Considering the penguins are her LIFE, she did quite well and only asked a couple of times if she could have them back. I talked to her over and over throughout the day asking her if she knew why I took them. She told me "I didn't use my manners, and was not polite". I made sure that she knew what that meant, and she told me she needs to use please and thank you.

I felt, by the end of the day, that she had really learned. Now, we will see if she remembers the penguins being taken the next time we are around others and she is given a compliment. Lord, Please, help her to.

Thanks, just had to vent.

Checking out the table as we walked in with all the penguins!...


Looking up at the HUGE penguin! (The lady told me this was only $25 at big lots!) I never thought I would put this kind of stuff in my yard, but the kids would LOVE it. So...





Isn't this the cutest thing! All the kids were the helpers and they dressed up like penguins!!..

1 comment:

Mark, Shannon,Trey, Boston, & Lola said...

Thats hilarious that there was a penguin party but whats more hilarious is that your thinking of buying the huge penguin for outside lol!